The Lewis County Historical Society owns and operates out of the former Lowville Masonic Temple, a beautiful and imposing 1928 brick Colonial Revival building listed on the National Register of Historic Places. An essential presence in the downtown Lowville streetscape, this building is a community treasure – housing extensive local history research, archival and library facilities available to the public, maintaining a rotating series of displays of items and artifacts of historical significance, operating a magnificent shop, and hosting monthly lunches, historical presentations and community outreach programs throughout the year.
One of the Historical Society’s largest undertakings is the conservation of the General Walter Martin Mansion in Martinsburg, a more than 200-year old, 28-room limestone structure built by that community’s namesake. The goal: to restore the historic landmark building and return it to the centerpiece of the Martinsburg community, so that it will be available for year-round displays focused on local history, lectures and programs of local interest, and other community events. Greystone is currently not open to the public, except for specially scheduled events.
From time to time, the Lewis County Historical Society lends out portions of The Temple for events to approved community groups and others. This requires completion of a Facilities Use Application for approval, which can be mailed to the Lewis County Historical Society, 7552 S. State St., PO Box 446, Lowville, NY 13367 (or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org). Approval is discretionary by our Building Use Committee. To inquire more about the use of our facilities, please contact us.